Memorial Day weekend is upon us, which means it is officially summer (or something like that...) and that means BBQ season. Pies are the unofficial summer dessert (in my opinion) and what is better than pie? Galettes! Why? Because they are easy AF (as fudge) to bake. You don’t need any fancy pie weights or baking dishes. You can fill them with whatever your heart desires. They are absolutely delightful with vanilla ice cream on top. This recipe from Against All Grain is so easy and delicious and what I will be baking this weekend. Best of all, your little one can help!
AUTHOR: Danielle Walker - AgainstAllGrain.com
- 2 1/4 cups cashew flour*
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 5 tablespoons cold grass-fed unsalted butter (I subbed in Earth Balance dairy-free butter)
- 2 cups blueberries (I've done with fresh or frozen blueberries, frozen wild blueberries were my favorite)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon full-fat coconut milk
*may be substituted for finely ground and blanched almond flour
- In a food processor, combine the cashew flour, arrowroot, coconut flour, and sea salt and process for 15 seconds until combined.
- Add the maple syrup and process for 15 seconds until combined and crumbly.
- Add the cold butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, and pulse the food processor a couple times in-between, until the butter is pea sized and the dough starts to come together.
- Using your hands, pack the dough into a tight ball and flatten it into a disc. Wrap it tightly it tightly in plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator to chill for 4 hours.
- Once the dough is done chilling, preheat the oven to 325ºF.
- Place the dough in between two large pieces of parchment paper on a flat surface. Roll the dough out into a 12-inch diameter circle that’s approximately 1/2 inch thick. Move the dough and parchment onto a baking sheet.
- Place all of the filling ingredients in a bowl and gently stir until combined.
- Scoop the filling into the center of the rolled out pastry. Fold up the sides of the pastry so that there is approximately 2 inches of pastry over top the outside edge of the filling. Pinch together any gaps or cracks.
- Whisk together the egg yolk and coconut milk. With a pastry brush, lightly brush the egg wash onto the top of the pastry. Place the galette into the preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Serve warm.
Hope you all have a relaxing long weekend and get to spend some QT with your loved ones. Thank you to all those who serve in the armed forces and those who have given their lives for our country. ❤️